Postcards from our big backyard
3 August 2022 to 15 November 2022
MGA Atrium Gallery
Postcards from our big backyard | Submissions open until 10 October
Viva Gibb took this photograph of the landscape she grew up on during a trip back to the area in the 1980s. The work is on display as part of MGA’s exhibition Return to nature, which journeys through the Australian landscape in photographs from the 1870s to today.
To coincide with this exhibition, we want you to send us a postcard of your big backyard!
Wherever you are in Australia, we want to see your landscape. So take a photograph of your corner of this great continent, print it at postcard size, write your name on the back, along with the title, date and a short note if you wish, then affix a stamp and send it by mail addressed to:
Monash Gallery of Art
860 Ferntree Gully Road
We will then display your postcard in a growing exhibition in MGA’s Atrium gallery from 3 August to 25 October.
Please note, the back of your postcard will be photocopied and shown beside your image by way of attribution, so don’t forget to include your name, as well as the title and date of your image on the back. We cannot guarantee that we will exhibit a photograph if we cannot attribute it.
We can’t wait to see what your landscape looks like.
Nuts and bolts:
- By sending us your image, you give permission for MGA to exhibit the work and to include it in documentation imagery, and to post this online, including on social media. Clear attribution may not be possible when documenting and posting about this exhibition.
- Postcard size is up for debate, but please keep your image around A6, which is generally agreed as the international standard for postcards.
- Your postcard will be pinned directly to the gallery wall for display purposes.
- The reverse of your postcard will be colour photocopied and displayed next to your image to act as a label. Please remember to put your name, title, date and a short note if you wish. We cannot guarantee that we will exhibit a photograph if we cannot attribute it.
- If you wish to remain anonymous we can remove your name from public display upon request.
- We cannot return your postcard to you after the exhibition, it will be destroyed unless otherwise agreed between you and the gallery.
- MGA reserves the right not to exhibit any images sent to the gallery for the purposes of this exhibition.
- You will not be contacted to say that your postcard is being exhibited (because we do not request your contact details), but we will keep updating the exhibition throughout the duration of the show, and will regularly post about the exhibition on social media.
- One submission per person will be accepted.
- Final submissions will be installed on Monday 26 September.
- Please email [email protected] with any questions.
MGA exhibition space, the Atrium Gallery, provides emerging artists with an opportunity to showcase their practice to MGA’s audiences. The Atrium Gallery is situated between MGA and the Wheelers Hill Library.